Friday, April 8, 2011

Turn Down the Drums!

The Bass player wanted me to play softer, all night long. I don't mind playing softer for quiet parts, but I'm not turning down my drums. It's frustrating to have others in the band deciding that your instrument needs to be quiet. I'm not saying that I'm one of those guys that bangs the crap out of my kit. I'm quite the opposite. I never noodle between songs, I come to rehearsal prepared, and I'm silent when the band is working on an issue.

Drummers Need To Play at Performance Level Sometimes

If your band wants you to use something like Hodrods every night at rehearsal, you will need to find a time to play with real drumsticks. Performance level playing is not the same as hitting your skins with dowels wrapped in a sheath of plastic. You have to bang them sometimes. I understand that the string section likes to rehearse at a low volume. Their feel on the guitar is the same at any volume. Not so for we drummers. Holding back sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment